Student Life at International School Bangkok

PantherNation

PantherNation

PantherNation

A Fantastic End to a Fantastic Season

The girls and boys pose menacingly, Photo by Tim McVey

First season Cross Country has once again come to an end, bringing with it fantastic results for both the boys’ and girls’ teams. The Cross Country runners flew to the International School Manila (ISM) on Wednesday October 15th for IASAS. On day one of IASAS, Thursday, the runners had a “chill” day with a walk through of both the 3km and 5km courses. Afterwards they were free to cheer on their fellow volleyball Panthers.

On Friday morning, Cross Country IASAS was truly underway with the 5km race held at a polo club close to ISM. The 5km course was predominantly run on grass making it a challenge for all runners. The girls raced first followed by the boys. Kana Ichimura (10) finished strong in 7th place followed closely by the other ISB girls’ runners. Once the points won from the 5km were added up, the girls finished in 3rd place.  

The boys’ team crushed all other schools in the 5km race finishing with five ISB runners in the top 10. Robbie Melhorn (12) finished in 2nd place by less than a second to the first place runner, followed closely by Zach McVey (12) in 6th place, and Leo Karlsson (11) in 7th place. The boys once again showed their dominance, as they did in the pre-IASAS exchange held in Bangkok. 

However, despite both teams performing well in the 5km, they still had to do well in the 3km race the following day to hold their positions.  Again, the girls raced first followed by the boys. The course was held on the ISM campus, involving many twists and turns the runners had to work with.

Both the girls and boys were able to secure their positions from the previous day meaning the girls finished with a bronze and the boys won their first gold in 11 years!

The girls’ team Captain, Becky Bradley (11), said, “On behalf of both the Cross Country teams we would like to give a huge thanks to our Coaches, Coach Giles and Coach Bentley, for all the hard work and effort they put into making our team so successful. Also, thanks to all our friends, family, and Panthers who supported us throughout the season.”

The boys’ team Captains, Zach McVey (12) and Robbie Melhorn (12) said “it was a fantastic ending to a fantastic season.” 

When the weekend drew to an end and the teams had to fly back to Bangkok the Post IASAS blues had begun.

Becky Bradley